Making a Safety Plan
There’s help if violence is happening in your home. Here is a list of things you can do to help yourself when adults are fighting:
- Stay out of the fight because you may get hurt.
- If you feel unsafe, figure out where you can go to feel safer.
- If you feel that you are in danger, know how to get out quickly: doors, stairs and elevators.
- When you are afraid, go to a safer place. This may be a neighbor’s house.
- Call for help. You can call 911 or an adult you trust.
- Make sure you know your home address and telephone number.
Everyone’s home life is different, so here are some questions to help you make your own safety plan:
- Where can I go to feel safer in my home during a fight?
- How can I get out of the house quickly and safely?
- Which neighbor can I go to when I am scared?
- What will I say when I call 911?
- What is my address and phone number? (Write it down or say it to yourself until you know it.)
Remember, you are not alone. It’s not your fault!
Next: Changing Your Community