How Does it Make Me Feel?
You may live in a home where one adult physically hurts or threatens his/her partner. You are not alone. Some other kids live in homes just like yours, and we’re here to help you.
You may have confusing feelings. It’s okay to have mixed feelings. We all feel different.
1. When there is fighting in my house, I feel _________.
- Like it is my fault
- Nervous or worried
- Depressed or sad
- Like I want to hurt myself
2. When there is fighting in my house and I am scared, sad or angry, my body feels funny. Sometimes I _________.
- Have a headache
- Have a stomachache
- Have a nervous belly or butterflies
- Feel tired
- Feel like I can’t sit still, restless
- Feel dizzy
- Have trouble breathing
3. Sometimes I _________.
- Don’t want to go home
- Don’t want to be around my family
- Think other people will break up my family
- Feel confused about my feelings about my family
- Try to keep the peace and keep quiet so I do not upset anyone
- Feel responsible for members of my family and/or try to protect them from the abuse
Remember, you are not alone. It’s not your fault!
Next: How to Deal