How to Talk to a Friend
It is often difficult to talk to a friend who is in an abusive relationship. Remember that all situations are different and that you are trying to help your friend. So don’t judge her/him or her/his choices.
Before you offer your assistance, examine your limitations and responsibilities. Helping a friend in an abusive situation can be difficult. You need to educate yourself on what may be expected of you. Contact a local service provider for more information.
Here are some suggestions on what to say to a friend.
- I am afraid for your safety and the safety of your children.
- You are not alone.f
- I am here for you, if you need anything or when you are ready or able to leave.
- It’s okay to talk about it.
- There is help for you and your children.
- You deserve better than this.
- I will help you make a safety plan.